Monday, January 18, 2021

Susan's white house.


Here is Susan's beautiful portrait of a white house and yard. 

first of all, I think that the color is really beautiful. I especially like the color and paint handling of the house and the hedge and grass area.

I only have a few suggestions but they apply to a few areas. The first version below is unmarked up and the one below  shows the areas.

 



1. I feel that the open areas of the painting where the sky is seen between the trees opens up the composition and naturally leads us into the house. I think that the house feels a little bigger and more prominent with these open areas.

2. The same idea applies to the dark areas around the lower trees. In the orange and yellow ones on the left, I think separating them with dark areas makes each more interesting.

One other thing I'd be conscious of is how the top parts of the trees are finished and to mix up the heights and widths a little. Paint through the edges of the painting as opposed to painting right up to them.

This is a study and I think that the final is going to be fantastic and I can't wait to see it. 



1 comment: