Monday, December 21, 2020

12/20/20 Marilyn's Flowers and Fruit on a Table

Here is Marilyn's lovely painting of Flowers and Fruit on a Table. I really like the flowers and the bowl of fruit in particular and I think that the overall yellow and orange palette overall is very nice. The white candles stand out nicely against the orange trees in the background.



 I do have a few notes for Marilyn to consider.
1. I think that the edge of the chair on the right creates tension that may be unintended by right on the edge of the picture. In the quick Photoshop example below I've moved it to the left a bit to relieve that tension.

2. These strawberries feel kind of trapped within the confines of of the chair shape. I think that the composition might benefit from the integration and overlapping of objects.

3. By moving the chair to the left, the large red fruit is less isolated by crossing behind the back of the chair.

4. Here, I think that I might open the blue up a bit and create a shape that creates a space for the top of the flowers to be showcased.

5. The pears here are beautifully painted but the scale seems a bit too large for the picture.


Here you'll notice the chair moved to the left and the fruit on the surface of the table is not confined by the shape of the back of the chair.

The pears are smaller and more in scale with the other fruit.


The slight bit of blue sky in the background gives us a shape that helps highlight the flowers.

As always, take these suggestions just my opinion. It's a very nice painting. I look forward to seeing the next iteration.

No comments:

Post a Comment