Friday, December 25, 2020



Here is Bev's quite accomplished and complimentary portrait of a good pup.


I don't want to make any assumptions about what Bev plans for the next steps on her painting but I'll make an assumption anyway that the legs will be finished. However, I don't know is what is intended for the background. In some ways I like the warm, simple shape here. The dog really stands out against it.


In the photo below there is a green grass background. The advantage of this in my opinion is that it allows Bev to highlight a unique feature of the dog, which is it's large, pink somewhat translucent ears. The contrast of the pink ears gets lost against a background so close to the color and value of the ears. The green color and the varied values helps set the dog apart from the environment but not removed from it. 


My suggestions are to:

1. Accentuate the pink ears by going with a simplified version of the green background of the photo. Also look to the photo for the color of the ears.

2. Consider subduing the value of the white fur in areas away from where you want to emphasize the focus which will usually be around the head. Also, the transitions between light and dark areas of fur provide an opportunity to show the texture of the fur.

3. This is a note, again about perhaps changing the color of the background.

4. I noticed in the photo that the back leg rides a bit lower on the body as indicated in this Photoshop sketch.

5. I might consider knocking down the highlight in the eyes a bit.

Bev has done a fantastic job on this portrait and these few suggested changes my be taken or not as I think that either way it will be successful when it's finished.




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment