Monday, December 28, 2020

Barbara's Flowers

 


Here is Barbara's floral painting. I like the energy and color of her flowers.










Here is Barbara's photo. I like the way the flowers fan out from the narrow mouth and the way the dark leaves reach beyond them.

 

I have a few notes based on the photo.








1. The principal thing I might consider is to lighten the background and reduce the value contrast.

2. Barbara has made an interesting choice to make her vase wider and rounder than the vase in the photo. 

3. I like the spaces between the flowers. Look for the negative spaces to get the relationships right. One can of course make these relationships how you want them. I like the openness of the spaces between the flowers in the photo. I feel that it makes the flowers feel lighter.

4. Notice that with the flowers backlit, the flowers are a bit darker than represented in the painted. I suggest make them a little darker and lightening the background.

5. Even with a simplified table top, I like having the graphic of the round place mat.


I suggest that pushing the background back and darkening the flowers a little, Barbara's flowers will pop a great deal more.


I look forward to seeing the next iteration.

No comments:

Post a Comment